Salmon teriyaki tacos
Hello hello! Today’s recipe is one of my favourites and was featured in my second online magazine. Since I’ve been trying to eat lighter this spring, this dish is perfect. These tacos are filled with stir-fried broccoli & carrot slaw, creamy guacomole, teriyaki salmon cubes and a generous sprinkling of pickled onions.
Tacos are one of the easiest things to make on a weeknight. Just cook some meat, grill a tortilla and throw in veggies for good measure and you’ve got a great meal! But, to take things up a notch, why not seek inspiration from the Far East? These teriyaki tacos are not only rich in flavour, but they are good for you too. Instead of chicken, they are made with salmon, which is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and lean protein.
Note: This dish uses shredded broccoli and carrot instead of the usual shredded cabbage to increase the nutritional value. You can find this in the bagged salad section at most grocery stores.
|Salmon teriyaki tacos||
- 1 skinless salmon fillet, cubed
- 2.5 tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 cups shredded broccoli and carrot mix
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- ½ avocado, mashed with ½ lime, juiced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 lightly grilled whole wheat tortillas
- hot sauce (if desired)
- In a small glass bowl, mix the sliced onions and rice wine vinegar. Let the onions sit in the vinegar while everything else cooks. The “quick-pickled” onions will add a nice bite to the dish.
- Drizzle some oil in a pan to coat the surface and heat on medium. Once hot, add the sesame oil and minced garlic. Stir for 20 seconds. Add the broccoli/carrot mix and cook for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- Mix the cubed salmon with 1.5 tbsp teriyaki sauce, ginger, salt and pepper. Cook in a greased skillet on medium heat for a few minutes on each side until cooked through. Once done, set aside and drizzle 1 tbsp of teriyaki sauce on the cooked salmon. Mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to the avocado and lime mixture. Add any hot sauce if desired.
- Prepare the tacos but coating the grilled tortillas with the avocado mixture. Add the cooked broccoli/carrot mixture, cooked salmon and pickled onions. Enjoy!
So what’s your favourite taco filling? Leave a comment!